- portfolio: bret.io
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- location: Ivins, Utah
- github: github.com/bcomnes
- npm: npmjs.com/~bret
Hyperdivision Software Engineer • 2019 - Present
- Leading development on Heimdall, a cryptographically secure, p2p ledger and proposal system used to securely manage cryptographic assets used for cryptocurrency exchange asset management and other financial technologies.
- Electron application development using a custom frontend framework.
- VHS-Tape: frontend component unit testing with async/await.
- Cryptographic focused native Node.js module development (prebuildify, libsodium).
- Webassembly module development (wat2js)
Netlify Platform Engineering • 2018 - 2019
- Joined Netlify’s DevOps focused platform team.
- Maintain and develop Netlify’s CI build environment, built with Docker, Go, Jenkins and Kubernetes.
- Launch Netlify’s selectable build-image infrastructure and interface.
- 24h on-call duties
- Monitor and maintain the health of Netlify’s multi-cloud infrastructure using Humio and Datadog.
- Scale and deploy infrastructure with GitOps via Ansible, bash and Terraform.
- See Netlify portfolio for more examples.
Netlify Product Engineering • 2017 - 2018
- Plan, design, implement, test and iterate on new features for Netlify’s React based webapp.
- Support, maintain, test and release Netlify’s open source JS and Go libraries.
- Architect and build Netlify’s next generation, extensible CLI.
- See Netlify portfolio for more examples.
ZHealth Documentation Electron Developer • 2016 - 2017
- Developing next generation structured documentation EtchCV suite for Cardiac Surgeons and Hospitals.
- API and microservice design + implementation.
- Cross Platform Desktop software using Electron, HTML, CSS and SVG powered by React + Redux.
- Modular development using github, npm and continuous delivery using TravisCI, Appveyor and S3/AWS.
Jaguar Land Rover OS & Application Engineering • 2015 - 2016
- Mobile app, infotainment and OS development using JS + Node.js, HTML and CSS.
- Targed in-vehicle embeded systems fully utlizing the onboard can bus.
- Architected a single sign-on service and documentation server for internal documents and project planning using Express.js.
Airship Technical Support Engineer • 2015
- Support developers implementing with Urban Airships SDK.
- Developed a specialized customer analytic and messaging system.
PSU Office of Information Technology ARC HPC Operations & Python Development • 2013 - 2015
- Web applications and systems programming with Python and Django.
- Developed custom database monitoring tools that tracked MySQL and Postgres usage metrics
- Responsible for building, automating and monitoring PSU’s research servers and HPC Linux Clusters.
- Initiated efforts to automate cluster deployment and management using Ansible.
- Trained and introduced new users to ARC’s resources and shared unix computing environments.
PSU Sánchez Nano Development Lab Research Assistant • 2013 - 2015
- Wrote custom control software and a web application that enabled remote viewing and operation of a Scanning Electron Microscope over the Internet using React, Web Sockets and WebRTC.
PSU Physics Department Lab Instructor & TA • 2012 - 2014
- Instructed PSU’s General Physics Labs and assisted in the upper division Experimental Physics Labs.
- Developed two novel labs on the use of micro-controllers and FPGAs covering basic concepts to advanced topics like PID control theory.
- Teaching introductory electronics and debugging skills to students.
Wiley Textbook Development Consultant • 2012
- Developed interactive figures and demos for an interactive Calculus textbook published by Wiley Publishing.
HSU Gravitational Research Laboratory Research Assistant • 2009 - 2011
- Designed and machined custom experimental instruments and developed the lab’s data collection, automation and analysis software to study the gravitational inverse-square law at sub-millimeter distance scales.
National Astronomy and Ionosphere Center Arecibo Guest Researcher • 2009
- Trained and operated the worlds largest radio telescope and analyzed the collected data searching for previously undiscovered galaxies.
- Humboldt State University B.S. Physics 2011
- Portland State University M.S. Applied Physics 2015 (Completed coursework, no diploma)
- Datcast Podcast (2018 - Present)
- PDX Node Organizer Meetup (2015 - 2017)
- Node School Organizer & Mentor (2016)
- Code for Portland Organizer & Mentor • Open Civic Data Initiative (2014 - 2015)
- Small Modules Talk Internal Presentation (2014)
- WebRTC Camp Speaker (2013)
- Indieweb Camp Organizer & Mentor (2012 - 2014)