- web: bret.io
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- location: Portland, OR
- github: github.com/bcomnes
- modules: npmjs.com/~bret
- org: hypermodul.es
Netlify Product Engineering • 2017 - Present
- Plan, design, implement, test and iterate on new features for Netlify’s React based webapp.
- Support, maintain, test and release Netlify’s open source JS and Go libraries.
- Architect and build Netlify’s next generation, extensible CLI (TBA).
Haddington Dynamics Electron Consultant • 2017 - 2018
- Port control software for the MIT connected Dexter robotic arm to electron.
- Automate build and delivery pipeline using Github, Travis and Appveyor.
- Implement browser based voice recognition API.
ZHealth Documentation Electron Developer • 2016 - 2017
- Developing next generation structured documentation EtchCV suite for Cardiac Surgeons and Hospitals.
- API and microservice design + implementation.
- Cross Platform Desktop software using Electron, HTML, CSS and SVG powered by React + Redux.
- Modular development using github, npm and continuous delivery using TravisCI, Appveyor and S3/AWS.
Jaguar Land Rover R&D OS & Application Engineering • 2015 - 2016
- Rapid mobile app and infotainment prototype development using JS + Node.js, HTML and CSS.
- Architected a single sign-on service and documentation server for internal documents and project planning using Express.js.
Urban Airship Technical Support Engineer • 2015
- Support developers implementing with Urban Airships SDK.
- Developed a specialized customer analytic and messaging system.
PSU Office of Information Technology ARC HPC Operations & Python Development • 2013 - 2015
- Web applications and systems programming with Python and Django.
- Developed custom database monitoring tools that tracked MySQL and Postgres usage metrics
- Responsible for building, automating and monitoring PSU’s research servers and HPC Linux Clusters.
- Initiated efforts to automate cluster deployment and management using Ansible.
- Trained and introduced new users to ARC’s resources and shared unix computing environments.
PSU Sánchez Nano Development Lab Research Assistant • 2013 - 2015
- Wrote custom control software and a web application that enabled remote viewing and operation of a Scanning Electron Microscope over the Internet using React, Web Sockets and WebRTC.
PSU Physics Department Lab Instructor & TA • 2012 - 2014
- Instructed PSU’s General Physics Labs and assisted in the upper division Experimental Physics Labs.
- Developed two novel labs on the use of micro-controllers and FPGAs covering basic concepts to advanced topics like PID control theory.
- Teaching introductory electronics and debugging skills to students.
Wiley Textbook Development Consultant • 2012
- Developed interactive figures and demos for an interactive Calculus textbook published by Wiley Publishing.
HSU Gravitational Research Laboratory Research Assistant • 2009 - 2011
- Designed and machined custom experimental instruments and developed the lab’s data collection, automation and analysis software to study the gravitational inverse-square law at sub-millimeter distance scales.
The Arecibo Radio Telescope ALFA Survey Research Assistant • 2009
- Trained and operated the worlds largest radio telescope and analyzed the collected data searching for previously undiscovered galaxies.
- Humboldt State University B.S. Physics 2011
- Portland State University M.S. Applied Physics 2015 (Incomplete)
- Datcast Podcast (2018 - Present)
- Intro to Choo Speaker (2017)
- PDX Node Organizer Meetup (2015 - 2017)
- Node School Organizer & Mentor (2016)
- Code for Portland Organizer & Mentor • Open Civic Data Initiative (2014 - 2015)
- Small Modules Talk Internal Presentation (2014)
- WebRTC Camp Speaker (2013)
- Indieweb Camp Organizer & Mentor (2012 - 2014)